THERAPEUTIC HORSEBACK RIDING
Throughout the world, horseback riding is considered a uniquely beneficial form of restoration for people with special needs. A horse’s gait, similar to the human walk, helps strengthen spine and pelvic muscles, improves posture and coordination, and increases joint mobility.
Along with physical benefits, horseback riding gives individuals:
- A feeling of control
- Promotes a sense of accomplishment
- Increased self-esteem
The rider travels with ease where wheelchairs, crutches, and braces cannot take them.
Mentally and emotionally challenged individuals benefit from the discipline and concentration required to master riding. Individuals who have trouble communicating often form unique, warm relationships with horses.
This special bonding and personal growth can help challenged individuals think, dream, and perceive themselves in new and exciting ways.
Riding a horse offers a mix of sights, sounds, and sensations that have few equals. Whether the challenge is physical, mental, or emotional, the individual accomplishments of riding provide a tremendous boost to confidence and self-worth.
Founded in 1996, Victory Riders, Inc. is a non-profit, tax-exempt member of PATH (Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship Intl.). We are a volunteer organization ministering healing and restoration to children and adults with special needs. Certified instructors and volunteers direct this therapeutic horseback riding program in a faith-filled, Bible-based, educational environment.
We honor God in everything that we do at Victory Riders and pray over riders for healing and restoration.
INFORMATION FOR RIDERS
- Any physically, mentally, or emotionally challenged individual can become a rider.
- Parent/guardian permission, doctor’s permission, medical report, and instructor evaluation are required.
- All horses used are gentle, well-mannered, and specifically trained for the unique needs of the challenged rider.
- Classes are conducted by trained instructors assisted by volunteers. A minimum of three volunteers initially work with each rider.
- Classes are held April through November on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Class fees are $45 for a thirty minute private lesson.
- Classes are one-on-one with PATH certified instructors.
Interested in joining the program? Contact us for more information.